Individual & Family Health Insurance Special Enrollment.

A Special Enrollment Period for special circumstances.
Qualifying life events allow you to make changes to your Individual & Family health insurance outside of Open Enrollment.

What is Special Enrollment Period?

The Special Enrollment Period (SEP) is a time outside of the annual Open Enrollment Period, which starts Nov. 1 each year, when you can sign up for health insurance. You can qualify to apply for a plan during SEP if you’ve experienced certain qualifying life events, including loss of health coverage, job loss, moving, getting married, having a baby, turning 26. More.

If you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period, you have up to 60 days following the qualifying life event to enroll in a plan. If you miss that window, you will have to wait until the next Open Enrollment Period to apply.

Ready to shop now?

Pick a plan or call us up at 833-356-1182.

Loss of health insurance.

Losses of health coverage that qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period:

  • Losing existing health coverage, including job-based, individual, and student plans
  • Turning 26 and losing coverage through a parent’s plan
  • Losing eligibility for Medicare, Medicaid, or CHIP

Life changes that qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period.

Changes in household that qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period:

  • Getting married
  • Having a baby, adopting a child, or placing a child for foster care
  • Getting divorced or legally separated and losing health insurance as a result
  • Death in the family

Changes in residence.

Changes in residence that qualify you for a Special Enrollment Period:

  • Moving to a new home in a new ZIP code or county
  • Moving to the U.S. from a foreign country or United States territory
  • A student moving to or from school
  • A seasonal worker moving a new place for work

Other special circumstances:

  • Becoming a U.S. citizen
  • Leaving incarceration
  • Gaining membership in a federally recognized tribe or stats as an Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA)
  • AmeriCorps members starting or ending their service
  • Changes in your income that affect the coverage you qualify for

Ready to apply?

After picking the Bright Health plan that’s best for you, you’ll need the following documents and information to enroll in during SEP.

Birth, adoption and legal guardianship – need at least one:

  • Birth certificate
  • Adoption record or placement for adoption
  • Legal guardianship document
  • Court order or child support order

Marriage – need at least one:

  • Marriage license
  • Loss of employer-sponsored group coverage
  • Letter or document from employer stating the employer changed, dropped or will drop coverage or benefits for the employee, spouse or dependent, including the date coverage ended or will end
  • Letter from health insurance company showing coverage end date
  • COBRA documentation showing length of coverage with beginning and end dates

Divorce or legal separation:

  • Divorce or annulment papers

Death of policyholder:

  • Death certificate or public notice of death and proof of prior qualifying health coverage

Turning age 26 and aging off parent’s plan:

  • Proof of prior qualifying health coverage

Moved out of plan area or moved into new plan area – need at least one:

  • Lease or rental agreement
  • Mortgage deed
  • Front and back of driver's license or state identification card
  • U.S. Postal Service change of address confirmation
  • Official school documentation, including enrollment or housing documentation
  • Letter from current or future employer that you relocated for work
  • Green card, education certificate or visa if you moved to the U.S. from another country

Other events:

  • Letter from school stating when student health coverage ended or will end
  • Dated copy of military discharge papers or Certificate of Release including the date coverage ended or will end due to no longer active military service
  • Letter or notice from a government program, like TRICARE, Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, or Medicare stating when coverage ended or will end
  • Document from the Department of Corrections, jail or prison indicating release or parole, including an order of parole, order of release or an address certification

Visit for more information about Special Enrollments.

Want to be contacted by a licensed sales representative about Bright Health plans? Fill out this form and we will be in touch.